In the last few years, the changes I have gone through in my life have brought interesting learnings for me. One of the more precious is that it would be meaningless, or absurd to resist adversity. That doesn’t mean that I would not try to understand or work with it, it means that I do not oppose to it to the point that I allow it to consume me until it exhausts me.
Successful people seem to bounce back from adversity faster than others. Somehow, in facing what others would call failure, they find their inner strength and become more than they were before. How quickly they recover from disappointment, difficulties, sadness or pain, can determine how readily they are to re-establish their position of confidence and well-being.
Thus, resilient individuals choose not to let difficulties delimit who they are. Quite often people define themselves by what they do and not by who they are. This is not very helpful when facing a setback. It is better to adopt and train yourself into acquiring a new stance in life, that will support you face the challenges that may arise.
Here are four steps that you can apply to lead yourself out of any challenging situation:
- . Every situation is only temporary. That goes for both extremes, good and not so good. The only thing that matters is how you behave during those instances. And if your purpose is constantly to improve and to evolve, you will need to actively seek for the learnings that those situations bring. That is where all the meaning is. And be reassured, those learnings are waiting for you in every corner.
- . Instead of closing down, becoming defensive and be worried, seek feedback, ask for help, and risk being vulnerable and authentic. This attitude in life makes every situation more manageable and accelerates the process of learning.
- . Step back, even in the moment, and see the situation from a broader perspective. That will bring clarity and new understanding. Resilient people demonstrate flexibility in a smart way, and shift through multiple vantage points, which allows them to maneuver successfully and emerge strong again.
- . Do not sit there pondering for too long. Nothing will change just by thinking. Determine a best first step and take it. That courage will propel you into action, generate new alternatives, allow you to regain traction and renew your confidence.
- Unexpected things happen in life. Situations are fluid.. Events do not have the power to swept you away, if you do not let them. Stay focused on your intent, your goals, your strengths and achievements. These will keep you moving forward and make you able to navigate through any torments.
Nicole Mantzikopoulou, March 2019